10.2 – Post-viral (and with apologies)

Following a tweet from a friend*, I realised that I haven’t put an update up this week. Then, when I put the heading together, and realised I was on week 10 of the project, I did a double take.

I remember being here for some of week 9, but I wasn’t able to do anything other than sit and stare at the screen and wonder when the room would stop spinning.

Here I am, though, back – post-viral and mostly back to normal.

With two things to share.

First – having spent a lot of time in the last few weeks discussing with various people (Deaf and hearing) the need to share information with the Deaf community, and having identified that putting it on the Internet (although useful) doesn’t cut it for anywhere near everyone… we are still not really any closer to knowing how we might do that.

So here’s a cry for help – if you are Deaf, and can talk to us about how you might like us to get this information to you… or have previous experience of successfully communicating historical information like this to the Deaf community… get in touch.

I’m not looking for a ‘one off’ hit… I really do want to start to build ways that we, as academics on a project, can give back the information that we find, in ways that Deaf people will engage with.

We don’t have funding… but we have imagination. And where there is imagination… there are ways. (And where ways work, perhaps there *is* funding in the future.)

Second – I’m heading back to London on Monday next week for another three days in the archives before the Easter break shuts everything down.

I get lonely when the archives are shut. So, if you’d like to meet me while I’m there, either this time, or in the future, to talk about the project… or just spend time chatting… let me know.

* The tweet was from Rob Wilks. If you don’t know him… look him up. I don’t know him very well, but from hearing up the RAD’s legal services – you see, there had to be a link to the RAD or St Saviour’s otherwise I couldn’t justify the comment – he now has his own company as a consultant solicitor. He’s also – interestingly, just secured a place at Leicester to start a PhD looking at the recognition of BSL and its legal standing. Watch this space.